Sunday 25 May 2008

Birding by bike and stints revisited



The Birding by Bike event went well with a good turn out. Thanks to Rachel for organising it and Dan for his expertise and enthusiasm.
Undoubted highlight was the avocet pair which made a timely reappearance and entertained the crowds at Freeman's Pools. Otherwise we saw what you'd expect but it's always great to look at familiar birds through 'new' eyes - added interests included eider (4) and a good selection of waders at Conder including greenshank, both godwits and common sandpiper.
On my return I stopped off at the Wildfowlers' Pools and spotted both Temminck's stints (and adding Tony Riden to my Aldcliffe yearlist).
One of the stints however got me in a bit of a tizz upon close inspection and I started thinking Baird's sandpiper for a while, but after a good deal of scrutiny I gave up on that fanciful idea! Well, it did have dark legs and appeared longish-winged... and what about that 'oval' shaped body? Hmmmm

No comments: