Saturday 16 May 2009

Spotted flycatchers spotted

Hard work finding much around the patch this morning.
First decent bird was a singing sedge warbler in a scrubby area of Freeman's Wood.
All as usual were present at Freeman's Pools: gadwall pair, 4 tufted duck, pair little ringed plover (no chicks yet), etc.
1st summer and non-breeding BH gulls continue to build up with approx 60 around the maize fields and estuary today.
A single wheatear was on the tideline near Walled Meadow.

Is it just me or do there seem to be loads of whitethroat around this year? I must have seen/heard well over a dozen this morning.

Following a bit of a short downpour just after midday I optimistically retraced my steps but it appeared little had dropped with the shower, until I got back to the pools.
A whinchat and 2 spotted flycatchers were in the Roase Cottage (sic) area which I assume were new in as I hadn't seen them earlier despite a good grilling of the area.
An attempt to look for more in the wood was abandoned due to a trio of motocross enthusiasts blasting around the place.

No comments: