Tuesday 25 December 2012

Happy Christmas etc

Season's greetings to all! 

Here's looking forward to a bird-filled 2013.

What surprises will the new year bring?
Will the lesser yellowlegs be relocated in the Aldcliffe area?
What new species, if any, will make it to the Aldcliffe list?

Click on the tab above to see which species have been recorded on and around the patch and see if you can predict the next 'new' bird...
I'm thinking turtle dove, hen harrier (way overdue), bee-eater - maybe even another yank wader or an American wigeon?
Or perhaps we'll see the first Aldcliffe breeding by little egret or avocet?
Only time will tell - good luck and enjoy the birds!

Jon
  

6 comments:

Guy McClelland said...

Hi Jon,

The only other bird I can think of was a Ross's goose back in 2008 I think. I also saw the razorbill whilst it was still alive on wildfowlers. Hope I see you dowggn there soon.

Guy

Jon Carter said...

Of course! Thanks Guy - I remember it well (or not all that well, it would seem)!
Pete Crooks has also reminded of the glossy ibis that turned up earlier this year.
I'll amend the razorbill record too.
Thanks - and see you soon.
Jon

Guy McClelland said...

There was also a bar headed goose which just sneaked in to the parish below the pylons during the summer. A definite wire hopper.

Jon Carter said...

I don't suppose bar-headed goose will ever make the British list, so I'm quite comfortable keeping that off for now Guy!
Lesser white-fronted goose and ruddy shelduck are equally dodgy but I think they're worthy of inclusion as genuine migrants - even if from feral/non-wild populations. The Ross's goose is worth adding as it has the potential to be a genuine vagrant...

Guy McClelland said...

I agree. I think the Ross's had the potential to be a genuine vagrant. I think the bar headed goose may have drifted over from Grange.

Guy McClelland said...

Next patch tick has got to be a hoopoe on the piles,of manure which are placed on the stubble fields in the spring.